Sotheby’s – Fine Furniture, Tapestries and CarpetsSeptember 2nd, 2011 by admin
This sale offers English and Continental furniture, along with Tapestries and Carpets.
English Furniture Highlights
Most periods of English furniture are well represented in the sale. Of particular note:
• A Royal mahogany washstand from Windsor Castle, circa 1830 (Lot 55, £4,000-6,000)
• Several Chinese lacquered pieces (Lot 41, £6,000-8,000) — a Chinese export lacquered bureau on stand and (Lot 42, £4,000-6,000) a Chinese export lacquered cabinet on stand.
• A George III carved giltwood chair, circa 1770, attributed to Thomas Chippendale (Lot 86, £6,000-8,000)
• A pair of George III painted and parcel-gilt sofas and a set of twelve George III parcel-gilt armchairs, both lots circa 1780, in the manner of Hepplewhite (Lot 113, £15,000-20,000 and Lot 114, £25,000-35,000)
• A Regency rosewood and brass-inlaid side cabinet, circa 1820 (Lot 157, £15,000-25,000)
European Furniture Highlights
There is a varied selection of furniture from France and other European countries, with a particularly strong section of pieces from the 19th century.
• A Louis XV gilt-bronze mounted red and gilt vernis martin sécretaire à abattant stamped Delorme, mid 18th century (Lot 98, £10,000-15,000)
• A Louis XV gilt-bronze mounted commode à encoignures stamped Criaerd, circa 1740 (Lot 104, £15,000-18,000)
• A Dutch padouk and marquetry serpentine commode, circa 1775 (Lot 109, £5,000-7,000)
19th Century Pieces
• A beautiful Louis XV style gilt-bronze mounted marquetry table, after a celebrated model by Jean-Francois Oeben in Versailles (Lot103, £10,000-15,000)
• A large pair of Louis XVI style gilt-bronze mounted and red marble six-light candelabra (Lot 126, £18,000-25,000)
• A Louis XVI style gilt-bronze and blue steel chandelier, in the manner of François Rémond, circa 1870 (Lot 234, £18,000-25,000).
Pieces Designed by Stéphane Boudin of Jansen
In 1935-6, Stéphane Boudin of Jansen designed a large extending dining table and three pairs of mirrored doors for “Chips” Channon’s celebrated dining room at 5 Belgrave Square (Lot 105, £5,000-7,000 and Lot 106, £3,000-5,000).